I've received numerous requests for additional information regarding the reallocation of the Regional structure for 2018- and I see you all have questions too!
While we made every attempt to address concerns surrounding Regional allocation in 2014, there were additional factors that have arisen in the last year that were unavoidable and needed to be addressed. So, rather than making just a few changes here and there, we decided to do a complete examination of all existing regions and Regional Championships- working toward a reallocation in which the members voices could be heard in the process- prior to a decision being made.
- Why the need for the reallocation? What are the “factors” you refer to?
- The dissolution of the Central Region & Central Divisional Championship (Sparta/US Open)
- Missouri members requesting to be included in the Southwest Region
- Mississippi members requesting to be included in the Southeast Region
- An overall declining member numbers
- Declining numbers in attendance at some Regional matches (a dilution of the program)
- The Northeast Regional was abruptly cancelled by its hosts in 2016
- 2016 will mark the final year of the Southeast Regional at Givhan’s Ferry (per the hosts)
- Petitions to reinstate the High Plains Region
- Improved Regional Sponsorship success with fewer, better attended events
- Where will the Regional Championships be held once the reallocation is determined?
Regional Championships have been awarded to clubs that have a track record of proven successful events. Historically, an existing organized match becomes a Regional- when the club and facilities have the resources, manpower, and support to host an event of this caliber.
In the proposed reallocation, there is the possibility of the elimination of either 1 or 2 Regions; meaning the elimination of those Regional Championships. The club’s hosting those matches will likely continue to host amazing events- the event simply won’t be the Regional Championship.
Once the Regions are determined, we will be “open” to proposals from any club/host range in each Region who is interested in hosting the Regional Championship for their Region. Existing Regional championships that have a proven successful track record will be given priority.
All TG’s will receive additional information regarding how to prepare a proposal for a Regional Championship to distribute to the clubs in their Region that have an interest in applying for a Regional Championship.
I hope this helps.